Tuesday, 7 May 2013

A New Toy and Bank Holiday Weekend, Part 1 ...

Hello there! Many "Thanks" to all of you who commented on my previous posting and "Hello" to new followers. How you found me I don't know - especially bearing in mind that my posts are still not updating - Grrrrr!

Anyhow, moving on to the things that we got up to at the weekend - wasn't the weather just glorious, by the way - but before I do, a photo of Archie, our cat, sitting in the flowerbed where I had the audacity to try and remove some weeds from his favourite place to snooze! He's looking pretty disgruntled.

And here's my latest - push along. I was looking at eBay - I know I shouldn't - this one came up on a Buy It Now and I just couldn't resist it.

He arrived well packaged a few days later.

The house sparrow is still chirruping away noisily outside for most of the day.

After KP finished school on Friday we drove post haste to our little bolt-hole in Devon. On Saturday afternoon (after a stop at the hairdressers) we headed for Forde Abbey - on the outskirts of Chard. We have been here many times, it is one of our favourite haunts. We also visited Burrow Farm Gardens, Knightshayes - NT property and had a walk along the Tiverton Canal but I will discuss these in more detail in later postings.

I just loved these tulips.

We walked up to the statue we call "Black Beauty" and stopped at a nearby spot for a picnic.

I tried getting to grips with the cameras' Manual Settings.

The fountain is switched on twice a day - usually about 1.00 p.m. and then again at 3.00 p.m.

Playing some more with the Manual Settings - I got this effect. Although the colours are distorted I quite like it. The daffodils have been bleached to an almost translucent quality.

We came to the lake and saw a few ducks - then our attention was grabbed by Canadian Geese and their off spring.

Well, I snapped away, like a thing possessed. Aren't they the cutest little things - primrose yellow in colour.Both Mum and Dad were clearly the proudest of parents - standing by, watching and fussing.

 They got out of the water and were pecking the ground for food - still under the watchful gaze of Mum and Dad.
I was amazed as to how close I was to them. These photos were taken with my slightly longer than usual lens but I have not cropped beyond that.

After a brief sojourn on dry land they were ushered back into the water.

Before once again moving back onto terra firma. I had left a few pieces of bread on the grass for them. I don't know if this is Mum or Dad but whichever it was, it guzzled all the bread in no time at all, without sharing!

We must have been sat watching for about an hour. A wonderful way to while away the time. We will have to have another visit soon to see how the chicks are faring.

We then moved along to the Bog Garden. I once again played with different settings on the camera - I think I prefer the top photo to the bottom one.

The dogs came with us but Charlie was once again determined not to look at the camera.

All the camellias and rhododendrons were open but I only took photos of the camellias!

Remembering my photography class homework to create creative shots - KP posed by the fountain!

KP looking a bit smarter than normal with blow dried hair.

We were just about to leave when we saw that the fountain was being turned on again and saw this fabulous rainbow effect.

The metal work roof of the temple.

And the roofs reflection in the small pool within the temple.

There we have it photos from our trip to Forde Abbey. In the evening we went out to a local pub for a meal with our next door neighbours who came back to the house afterwards for a cup of coffee.

Whilst they were there - George, our cocker spaniel, seemed to have a fit of some sort - he kept running around in a circular motion - as if he was chasing his own tail but with a very dazed look on his face.
After a while he seemed to snap out of it. However, this strange behaviour was repeated. We were very worried. By the time that we were ready for bed - he had calmed down and seemed back to his normal self.

In the middle of the night I went downstairs to check on him and he seemed fine and has been alright since. So, let's hope, fingers crossed that everything is O.K.

I think I've rambled on long enough so without further ado, I will sign off.

Until next time,



  1. Beautiful images as always June.

    KP is starting to look so grown up!

  2. Ha Ha KP ! Oh the Goslings are so sweet. I love your outings. Thanks to you I am going to Gilbert White's House tomorrow !
    Finn " helped " me weed my herb patch on Monday. He doesn't like the grass cut as he likes to creep through long grass !
    Lovely images.

  3. Lovely photos, I like the one of KP with the fountain, it reminds me of The Green Mile. Those baby geese are so cute. Hope George is ok, we do worry about our pets.

  4. I love the photos of the bog plants unfurling - they look other worldly - and what a remarkable daughter you have being able to shoot water out of her mouth like that.

  5. Lovely photos, those baby geese are just the most adorable bundles of fluff.
    I certainly hope George is ok.
    Love the new furry addition to your family, what a sweet face.
    Lisa x


Please do leave a comment. I love to hear from you!