Tuesday 26 April 2011

The View from the Top



I am so far behind with my blog diary that I have again decided to do two posts in one day. This blog features the photos that I took from the top of "Il Vittoriano".
Quite some time ago, being the clumsy type I had dropped my camera and in the process had broken the lens hood. I hadn't bothered to get a replacement as I had a polarizing filter.
On our holiday to Rome I forgot to use the filter so some of the photos look a bit blurred - I am angry at myself for having been so negligent.
I have tonight trawled the internet and found a lens hood for the camera - the hood itself was quite cheap at just over £5 but the postage costs were £17! That will teach me to be more careful with the camera!


As promised here are photos from the top of the Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II.
The views of Rome from here are amazing.
The building in the foreground is not of the Colosseum as we initially thought but of Teatro Marcello.


We realized that the Teatro Marcello was not the Colosseum when we saw "The Colosseum"! In the background you can see some of the seven hills upon which Rome is built.


From the monument you can also see The Roman Forum.


A photo of The Roman Forum with The Colosseum in the background.


Our Daughter shows how strong she is!


Some more photos from the roof of "Il Vittoriano".


And another photo from the tallest building in Rome.


Near to the Monument there are a number of galleries and I really wanted to go the Musei Capitolini but we were very tired from our early start and decided that we would head back to the hotel but take in some views of The Roman Forum on the way - more on that in a later posting.


Before we headed off for The Roman Forum we espied this bronze statue in the Campidoglio. It is of Marcus Aurelius. The Piazza del Campidoglio and the surrounding buildings were the work of the architect, Michelangelo.


We went in search of the statue of Romulus and Remus.

We then took a leisurely walk back to the hotel walking past The Roman Forum.
In the evening having had a bit of a rest we left the hotel in search of a restaurant recommended to us by the hotel staff. To get to the restaurant we had to walk past another restaurant which looked lovely and was full. We found the restaurant which had been recommended to us - it looked a bit depressing and was empty so we headed back to the one we had seen earlier.
Although it was full the staff found a table for us and we had a fantastic meal and spoke to a couple on the next table who were from Austria.

Having had our fill of superb Italian cuisine and Italian wine we strolled back to our hotel. Shattered from our early start and our sightseeing tour on foot we were soon fast asleep.

Until next time.

June.


1 comment:

  1. Your photos are fabulous and fascinating!!
    I felt as if I was in Rome!
    Thanks for visiting my blog! Hampshire is one of my favourite counties...
    next to Devon!!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment. I love to hear from you!